ALGORITHMIC SURFACE MODELLING FOR SLA PRINTING 2

 I checked my two options with different structures with the instructor, he advised me to thicken some thin structures of my preferred option and it would be printable. So, I rebuilt the pattern source again. He showed me some tricks such as "Panel" however, I thought it might be hard to panel in same shape on repeating parts of my pattern source. This time, I set my thickness as double the size of the previous size.

< Panel tried in the Red area, however, yellow area should share the same shape to repeated seamlessly >

< rebuilt pattern source on the left, pattern source before edit on the right >

< rebuilt pattern source on the right, pattern source before edit on the left >

< rebuilt pattern source on the right, pattern source before edit on the left >

< Structure made with new pattern, Not Sure this is Thick enough >

< Newly built varied versions of pattern source, thickness adjusted >

< Patterns made with the each pattern source above >

< Patterns with varied thickness >

After making final pattern sources, I realized that my object will be only 100 mm cube, and wanted to make the pattern bigger. So, I went back to the grasshopper and easily adjusted the numbers of patterns, and the same problem that the pattern not looking the same from every view came back. The problem was that when grasshopper started wrapping patterns, it doesn't start from the point that I was thinking to start. As seen in the second photo below, there is a line on the surface that is not on the divide lines, that was the starting line that creates patterns and it elaborate patterns according to the length of the vertical cut So, I tried to crack the surface again, so that it will be 5 of 2 symmetrical pieces, totaling 10. Didn't fix the problem.

< Points not aligning with the base structure >

< Divided into 10 pieces >

< Didn't fix the problem >

< Tried to rebuild from scratch, realized it still have same problem >

I thought there should be a way to build this shape without having that bridges that are receding. So, I brought this matter to the instructor again. He tried splitting the structure in half, warp on that half structure and mirror the pattern. It didn't solve the problem since it was 10 sided structure. After this and I pointed out that the start line of the warp is sitting on weird spot and that is the problem, he tried to rebuilt pieces, but in smaller manner this time. It looked same as my 10 pieces that I cut from the original shape before, however it is built differently. He made contour lines and cut each lines in 10 pieces. after that, he put vertical curve alongside the edges of the pieces and used "Sweep2." It is the command that make surface with outlines and spines that are horizontal. After making 1 piece, he :mirror"ed it and "array polar"ed and made it as full piece of the structure. the number of patterns were adjusted and it looked like what I imagined. 


< 2nd Try >

< The 10 pieces >

< 2nd try >

< 2nd try, mirrored and array polared after.>

< Tried 1.5 and it didn't work >

Next concern was to make a bottom and he suggested that I can stretch the surface and bring the surface to cover the bottom. 



Final

< Perspective >

< Top >

< Front >

< Right >

This project was such a great opportunity that I went in depth and spent many hours, encountered many hardships for fabrication and I could be able to learn how to fix minor to major problems, not to mention grasshopper made those fabrication and fixes easier, by simply assigning various options and adjusting number slide of built definition. I would like to experiment more in the future, with many different shape or types of brep to warp.




 

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Project 2: Reverse Engineered Object (Week 1: Select)

MILESTONE PROJECT 1: Stacked Slices Model

ALGORITHMIC SURFACE MODELLING + ANIMATION