Week 6 Exercise: 3D Scanning of Organic Object

 This exercise is to scan an organic object using 3D scanning app 'Widar' and re-make it in digital 3d file using Rhino.

1. Scanning the object


I picked 21 photos out of 103 photos and editted each photo so that the apple in the photo can be seen as almost same size for better results. This video include top, top 45 angle, side view, unside down side view and bottom view of an apple.


2. Best 4 Photos to re-build

 

 

< From top left in clock-wise, Bottom, Upside Down Side, Side, Top View >

I thought these 4 photos are showing the volume and the uneven surface of the apple.

3. Digitalize

 

To start with, I made a sphere using SubD Sphere. And after that, using SubD edges, I made concave part on top and at the bottom of the sphere.


And after that, I activated CageEdit, and imported photos of this apple in different angle. And using CageEdit, I moved the outlines of the sphere so that it will match with the apple in the photo. 

 

< From Right View >


< From Front View >


< From Top >

After that I made a little corn and made it upside down to make a stalk coming out from this apple.

After that, using material tap, I imported color on apple and the stalk. Additionally I entered into render properties dialogue, and activated some environment of it as well. since the environment didn't go well with the object (it was blur and looked far from the object), I changed environment setting as 360 studio.

 

< Apple in Perspective View >



< Apple in Loft environment >


< Final Presentation >

It was a fun project using SubD tools and cage edit tools. From my past experience, I used Rhino to make only geometric shapes and it was interesting to find out that I could build something organic like an apple in Rhino as well, in somewhat realistic enough degree. I think I can use these new features a lot. Although, it was a little bit ashamed that I couldn't utilize all the perspective for better result. To be exact, if I turned the object and got the other side of the shape as well, for instance the left side or the bottom side, I think my apple could have been more realistic.












 

  

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Project 2: Reverse Engineered Object (Week 1: Select)

MILESTONE PROJECT 1: Stacked Slices Model

ALGORITHMIC SURFACE MODELLING + ANIMATION