Week 3. Project planning: Research & Design


I think the benefit of laser cut is clean and intricate cutting without damaging the material. So when I got this project, I was merely thinking I would like to try some multi-layered work. And as going through making patterns as an assignment from this class and last semesters' work, I was thinking I would like to adopt some pattern or at least somewhat symmetrical shapes for this project.
Below are the examples of patterns that I made from Design Fundamental last semester.




After thinking my direction, I looked up some examples and inspired by these two artists written below.



1. Gabriel Schama

Gabriel Schama is California based artist who makes an intricate wood reliefs. Here are the examples of his work.









I think I am attracted by his pieces from few points.
1. Layered with intricate line work
2. Use of organic shape (well shown especially on 4th and 5th photo)
3.Use of geometrical shape
4. Symmetrical
5. Adopting different patterns in one piece and add rhythmical and active feelings



2. Eric Standley

Eric builds complex paper-cut artifacts using vector-based software and CNC lasers. Each layer is cut into paper with a CNC laser, then stacked into the completed artwork.







Eric's pieces might has similar approach from Gabriel's but his main ingredients for his pieces is paper.
So mostly his work seems to be more colorful and possesses more intricate and very complex lines. I also very appreciate his magical geometrical shapes.















 


댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Project 2: Reverse Engineered Object (Week 1: Select)

MILESTONE PROJECT 1: Stacked Slices Model

ALGORITHMIC SURFACE MODELLING + ANIMATION