Project 3 Submission

 

1.      The sources

Williealligator_228.stlwww.thingiverse.com/thing:260134/files. 28 Feb, 2014.


Syzguru11staplerlopoly.stl. www.thingiverse.com/thing:4461483/files. 15 Jun, 2020.

Staplliator 

 

1.  Feedback response

During the feedback session, I could have received a lot of brilliant ideas to develop my design. Here are the feedback.

Firstly, Marina advised me to try more realistic look by adding additional textures and adopting original colors of the object that I used. So, I considered how I can develop an advanced look and ended up adding eyes on it and also applied the color of the alligator and stapler. To be specific, from my reference photos, I took the blue color of the alligator skin, pink for its inside of the mouth and I took silver color from inside of the stapler. But I didn’t go further for realistic look, since I thought it might harm the toy like vibe that I originally wanted to create. I wanted it to be seen as an object that is bearing a delighted mood that will repel stiff air of the office. So, I kept the rendered look of it.

Secondly, Bryan and Codi recommended for me to adopt some correspondent object, to reveal more of the feature of stapler. And I deeply agreed with the necessity of it, since that was the point that I was worried about with adopting some realistic look of the alligator. I worried that my design might lose its new meaning of joy by adopting more features of alligator, which will break the balance between alligator and stapler. So I adopted a paper bag and flat bird figure newly and set them beside Staplligator. And draw a couple black line on the bird so that it will be shown as stapled bird on the paper bag.


 
BreuniPaperbag_solid.stlwww.thingiverse.com/thing:350765/files. 02 Jun, 2014.


UnpredictableLabcolibri1.stlwww.thingiverse.com/thing:3107958/files. 18 Sep, 2018.



After Refinement

ifinal
 
Head detail 

Mouth detail : adopted pink color and silver on metallic part.


eye detail : added eyes, eye hole. 

Stapled bird detail



3.  How does Staplligator relates to Remix Culture?

I think Remix Culture is an easy way to create a new meaning. I think the more the combined elements have less common, the fresher the new meaning created.

And Remixing culture has great advantage in convincing the new idea to public, compared to other newly generated idea from nowhere. This could be achieved from combining multiple ideas that already have been existed and we are familiar with, and also, we all understand and recognize their connotative and denotative meaning. And this let people to easily expect the new meaning that is newly created. Furthermore, it let people to feel refreshed by recognizing its newly revealed connection among the familiar object or notion. And that refreshing feelings will generate interest and new value to people.

The Staplligator that I created is also a result of Remix Culture, considering its already existed idea sources and generated new idea. As I mentioned in previous post, I saw the similarity of the shape from two object, the mouth of the alligator and stapler. And I thought if the stapler, which is normally used in the offices, the environment that could feel stiff and professional could be deliver some light feeling when it adopts a shape of the alligator body.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Project 2: Reverse Engineered Object (Week 1: Select)

MILESTONE PROJECT 1: Stacked Slices Model

ALGORITHMIC SURFACE MODELLING + ANIMATION